Sunday, February 10, 2013

Dooley The Dog Talks To God


(God)

I appreciate you coming up here Dooley.

(Dooley)

No problem. I come to this mountain top two or three times a week just to sit and think. When I am down at the cabin it’s like being in a bowl with the hills all around me. Up here, looking down, things seem clearer.

(God)

I’ve found a high perspective helpful for thinking as well, Dooley. For me, however, the clarity of the view sometimes creates more questions than answers. You can come up here, think, and then go back down and apply the things you have thought about. It is a very practical method for understanding. I don’t always have that luxury.

(Dooley)

Well, I have always considered myself a practical dog.

(God)

You are indeed.

(Dooley)

So, you have questions, God?

(God)

I do. I am consulting with some of my favorite creatures on Earth about a very important question. You spend life, as you say “down in the bowl” and that is a perspective I don’t have. I need your insight.

(Dooley)

I am honored, but at the same time a little surprised. I thought you were in everything.

(God)

In a sense I am. Cosmologically, however, that is an impossibility for reasons that are unexplainable at this time.

(Dooley)

I see.

(God)

Here is the issue. When I put the Heavens into motion I intended a purpose and a path for everything. I expect things to evolve and become increasingly complex. Eventually, that evolution reaches purity, perfection and balance. When that is achieved all things in that system become an indestructible, beautiful and eternal energy encompassing all that was or ever had been within that system. Trust me Dooley; it is a…well,... a grand reward.

(Dooley)

Like heaven?

(God)

Heaven is a reward for the spirits of individual creatures in any given system. It is great place…but it doesn’t compare to the final reward.

(Dooley)

There is more after heaven? Cool.

(God)

So, here is my problem. The plan is not working on the Earth system. The intended evolution has stalled. It is the first time that has happened…..

(Dooley)

Ah,ha,...so there is life in other parts of the universe. I knew it.

(God)

Oh, yes Dooley, the Earth system is just one seed in the garden. There are nearly infinite systems of life; some you would recognize and many you wouldn’t. Many have already achieved their “grand reward”. You have heard of what they call on Earth a super nova…?

(Dooley)

Of, course…..

(God)

…that flash of light seen on Earth is really a system achieving the end of evolution, the “grand reward”.

( Dooley)

So what scientists here describe as an ending, is really a beginning….

(God)

Correct. But let’s stay on point here. I’ll answer any questions you have later.

(Dooley)

Sorry, but this is just so, so….well, cool.

(God)

Anyway, things were going fine on Earth until the human animal achieved introspection way ahead of schedule. Complex plans sometimes have unexpected results. This was a dandy. The ability to know one’s self and to question their purpose on Earth wasn’t expected for another billion years or so. I uncharacteristically tried to intervene on a large scale, as is somewhat documented in Earth’s various theologies….but things didn’t end as I had hoped. I happily adjust things on a smaller, individual level every day with great results, but the big campaign just muddied the pond. Now, with the human species able to realize they have an advantage over other of Earth’s creatures without the maturity to understand what that really means, Earth’s ability to reach a “grand reward” is in serious jeopardy. For the first time in the history of the heavens I’m seriously thinking of ending a system early.

(Dooley)

Oh,…. that doesn’t sound good…..

(God)

….not good at all. Any ideas?

(Dooley)

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is to eliminate the humans…

(God)

A rat suggested the same solution in the Earth’s so called “middle ages” and we toyed around with it...unfortunately, the human animal has a purpose, just like the dinosaur had a purpose once, and to eliminate the species would cause the whole plan to unravel.

( Dooley)

So then, it sounds like we need to de-evolve the humans.

(God)

Interesting….but you know, I can’t just do that…..

(Dooley)

…..another unexplainable cosmological impossibility?

(God)

Something like that. Funny thing, there seems to be some small scale de-evolving in your country…have you seen that TV show “Honey Boo- Boo”?

(Dooley)

No, Roger and I don’t watch TV…. but I’ll take your word for it. De-evolving America is one thing, but the rest of the world is a tough nut.

 (thoughtful pause)

Wait a minute, maybe we are looking at this backwards. What if, instead of taking something away, you give them something.

(God)

Hmmm. I like where you are going with this….sort of a second bite on fruit from the tree of knowledge….

(Dooley)

…..exactly. An “accidental” and humbling discovery that demonstrates their collective knowledge to this point is flawed. Their vanity would be shattered and change would be inevitable.

(God)

Vanity is one of the seven deadly sins, so it would fit from a theological standpoint….and, the fact is, their collective knowledge is laughingly flawed, so I wouldn’t really have to change anything….just shed a little light, one of my specialties. I think I know just what to “give them”. Dooley, you may have saved the world.

(Dooley)

(thinking to himself pridefully, “All in a day’s work, God, all in a day’s work”).

(God)

I heard that.

(Dooley)

Sorry. Could you do one thing for me, God?
 
(God)

Of course, Dooley.

(Dooley)

Could you hold off changing things here on Earth until after my trip to Disney World.

(God)

No problem.

 

 

 

No comments: