Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Short Essay On Bats

Nothing is too important to keep me from stopping just after sunset and scanning the western sky for the appearance of the bats. I anticipate their arrival like I used to count down the minutes to favorite TV show in the “other world”. I think it was October when I saw them last. They hibernate over the winter months. My bats are “little brown bats” very common in West Virginia. I had a chance to examine one close up last summer while walking down Rock Creek. It was spread out on a rock next to the water. It did not appear injured but I was concerned it was out during the day….not a good thing for bats. It was gone when I returned about an hour later and I like to think it flew back to its roost. I am not sure where they spend their days but I suspect it is in a craggy rock face across the river. They came back to life tonight, flying back and forth along the river. I hope they ate well. Welcome back bats!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hey Roger!

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures of my cave rock in my neck of the woods! I couldn't find your email address and your comment was a nonreply so I thought I would just make a comment on your blog. Living in West Virginia is just true heaven to me. I was born here and lived here my entire life except for the 4 years that we lived in Maryland.

I see that you are a follower of Suzanne's blog. I've been voting for her every day. If you like reading blogs of others who live in West Virginia, you should take a look at my sidebar to see a small list of the blogs in West Virginia that I have found. Granny Sue's blog is one of my favorite. Matt Burns has a great one too.

Are you going to be posting anymore? You could do a post to show your cave rocks if you like.

Angela